9.15.2011

Taking Care of Your Laptop's Battery


I recently got an Acer laptop (thank you mommy, by the way) and I had been a little too cautious of the battery's life. This was because of my youngest brother.

See, my younger brother got his Acer laptop a little about a year ago, if I'm not mistaken. Right now, his battery's life went from good to bad due to constant use of his unit. When he went to check how much a battery costs, we were shocked to find out that the it ranges between Php 5,000 to Php 7,000.


After learning the costs to replace a worn out battery, I'm starting to be paranoid. Alright, not just a little bit but more than 60% paranoid.

Anyway, I had been asking for tips from a few friends who are technically inclined when it comes to electronic devices and I found out a few that I think will help not just me but also you.

Let me share them:
  • Avoid draining a Lithium ion battery.
  • Avoid using your laptop while it's charging.
  • Keep your battery contacts clean.
  • Use an idle battery once every 2 to 3 weeks.
  • Hibernate your laptop instead of putting it on standby.
  • Avoid using your laptop at high temperature areas.
  • If you need to use your device for a couple of hours and multitask, it's better to plug it in. Make sure to remove your battery while your laptop is plugged in. This is also best in areas with little to no brownouts.
Techie experts say that following these steps will help you extend your battery's life for 1 to 4 years.

Well, I hope these tips are helpful. 

I sure am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to follow these steps religiously. Oh well.

No comments: